Monday 17 December 2007

EA should stop being publishers

I am boycotting EA. Their business practices got a bit out of hand, so I told myself, right, I'm not going to buy any more EA games until they sort it out. Except Spore, but Spore is special.

This leads me to a problem. A lot of games released now have EA involved somewhere in the process, whether it was that they owned the company, were involved in the coding or they published it. More often than not, it is the last one. That means that my money is going straight to EA, as the developers were paid their money by EA so they could publish it.

I don't want that. Not one bit.

If EA gets my money then that means they can buy more companies. That means that more games will be rushed by their developers so that they don't slip from set deadlines, something that makes EA very mad. This means that there will be more bugs, sloppy coding, long loading times, and entire features cut out because the developers couldn't spend as much time as they wanted working on it.

This is not good for games. This is not good for gamers. But EA just does not care.

Sure, some games they publish would never see the light of day if it weren't for EA. It's something I suppose I should be grateful for. But they really don't need to acquire so many of them.

In the past year alone the list of games they've published is massive. From the list on GameFAQs:

Battlefield 2142:Northern Strike; Bionicle Heroes; Boom Boom Rocket; Burnout Dominator; Hellgate: London; Just Cause; Orcs & Elves; Rail Simulator; SimCity Societies; The Sims Life Stories; The Sims 2: Bon Voyage, Castaway, Celebration Stuff, Deluxe, H&M Stuff, Pets and Seasons; and Untold Legends: Dark Kingdom.

The entire list of games they've been involved in was so big that it crashed Firefox the first time I loaded it.

Please note that I purposely excluded ones that EA developed themselves. That would make the list far too big.

Out of those, I would buy all but 4 if it weren't for the fact that EA is involved.

I am deprived of a lot of games.

No comments: