Monday 17 December 2007

Jumping on the bandwagon - A.K.A The Golden Compass

This week, I've been taken to see The Golden Compass twice. Once by the boyfriend, and once by the sister who was too afraid to go to the movies by herself.

Overall, I'm fairly pleased. They got the bits that I was most scared about right (or at least, did them well enough that I didn't care) and the special effects were most awesome.

The bears were amazing and every bit as intimidating and cool as I wanted them to be. I didn't even care that they changed the name of the fake bear king. Ian McKellen was perfect as the voice of Iorek, though he did have his voice 'gruffed up' a fair bit.

The Daemons were spot on. The ease of which they changed was great, the animations were perfect (they acted like real animals just with more emotional faces), and the voices of the Daemons that spoke were cast well. Pan was very, well, Pan-ish.

What I did not like was the casting of Lyra. Dakota Blue Richards may be a newcomer, but that does not give her allowances for her acting being wooden and her lines sounding like she was bored. She made a crap Lyra. And seeing as she is the main character of this movie, and of the first book, it is inexcusable. I will honestly walk out of the cinema if her Lyra is as bad in The Subtle Knife as it was in this one.

I could probably say a lot more about it, like how Lee Scoresby was a wonderful texan flirt, that Eva Green made a great Serafina Pekkela, like how you will get sick of people going 'the alethiometer; the golden compass', and like how pretty Daemons are when they go poof, but I won't.

I'll just tell you to go and see it for yourself so they do make a second one.

No comments: