Tuesday 18 December 2007

Why does my Slim PS2 not run Gran Turismo 4?

Racing games are one of my favourite types of games. Of them, the Gran Turismo series is one of my favourites. Now, our Playstation 2 is a slimline one. This is all fine and dandy. It takes up less space, uses less electricity, looks nicer and the laser is easier to clean. Great.

Until I want to play Gran Turismo 4.

At first, I thought I was unlucky in buying 3 different copies of Gran Turismo 4 which did not work. But I was kind of suspicious as it was 3 different copies, after all. So I called Sony's helpline in the manual, and they said they'd replace the PS2, but they wanted me to check them on another Playstation 2 and another copy of Gran Turismo 4 just in case.

So, I dragged my friend The Git round with his fat PS2. I set it up, and hey presto! Gran Turismo 4 worked on his PS2. Another copy of GT4 which didn't work on my slim, worked on his fat.

Needless to say, I am not impressed. From what I can garner from my roams around the Internet since, slimline PS2s have major difficulties in reading data from dual-layered DVDs (i.e. ones with lots of data). This means that games like Gran Turismo 4 are completely out of reach for us people who bought the slimline thinking they were getting a better console than the fat one and who can't afford to go out and randomly buy a fat PS2.

Sony have been no help since my console is out of warranty.

How do I get my slimline PS2 to run Gran Turismo 4?

Answers on a postcard please.

No comments: